Thursday, May 8, 2008

Grizzlies 2 Wolves 1

Woke at 4 am This morning and had a lot of hope going on ! Made some coffee and looked at the radar on the Internet Looked like a good day. 5am I was underway. Went back to Hayden Valley to see how the birds where doing. I found several species huddled around trying to keep warm . A Blue Heron had caught himself a big fish but couldn't seem to get it down. See slidehow for all of todays photos.

The heading says " Grizzlies 2 Wolves 1" Not an NBA score. it means I have had 2 grizzly sightings and 1 wolf sighting that I could photograph. This morning on my way from Hayden to Lamar Valley , I spotted 2 cars off to the right side of the road with cameras out . My Antenna alerted me to get ready, As I slowed down about 200 yards behind these cars a LARGE BLACK WOLF was seen out of the corner of my left eye just as he dropped down on the roadbed to my left at about 50 feet distance! I hit park and grabbed the camera, got about 20 shots as he crossed in front of me and went for the woods about 1/4 mile away. I uploaded 2 wolf shots which weren't the closest but I could see the eyes and the light was good.

Now I am wired. I Arrived at Rosevelt Lodge, the cut off to Lamar valley at about 8:30 am, Furthur down the road I watched 2 coyotes try and ambush a pair of sandhill cranes. Cranes 2 coyotes 0..

Down the steep hill and across the river a slight left and then a long gradual right turn. But wait there are cars in the parking lot to the left, a place that wasn't open two days ago. I vestigation showed there was a grizzly on a carcass over the hill. Camera and wait. After my back gave out I told the guy next to me I was leaving so get ready.

I backtracked and updated my photo records of the sandhill cranes on the floating island. the ice is gone and they are working like crazy. after prehaps 1 hour I was going to punch out for the day, BUT there was a nagging thought, what If I leave and find out tomorrow the bear was doing all kinds of stuff out in the open.

I went back, got front row parking and this time brought my tripod to lean on as much as any thing. No sooner did I have it foocused on the are when the bear started moving standing and finally walking right out into the open.

Have to wash clothes and pack as this is my last night The cable system went down so there is no TV only snow on the tube, so I opened the drapes and darned if it isn't snow out there also.
The schedule calls for moving on to the southwest and the desert, However It seems my heart is here. and I don't have to be at work any Mondays soon the critters are here .. DW

4 comments:

t-mos said...

nicely done! the new pics look great.

t

Anonymous said...

Just picked up the updates. Looks like you've met with some success. Nice shots. I'd like to see a Griz out there someday.

-E

Anonymous said...

With rod in hand? Pepper spray?

dun wurkin said...

No pepper spray, anytime there is a carcass and a bear, there is a Ranger