Sunday, May 4, 2008

A Good day in the Field

Yesterday was the locked keys, Sleep was sporadic at best. Coffee and a donut got things going today. Stopped and topped the tank off at a mere $3.64 /Gal. Then off on the road to see what the day would bring its a 40 mile drive from Gardiner to Lamar Valley.
Now you must understand this : Wildlife Photography requires Patience Patience and more patience. A full tank and lots of water and juice in the cooler are needed hands down.
Saturday I ran into the sheep shown on the left margin. I didn't have shots like this And was tickled to have found this herd.
Today it was my first Grizzly Bear on a Elk Kill. He was a long way off and for the sake of better photos I left him there ! I was in awe watching this magnificent beast move. He would put the bums rush on the coyote and a couple ravens and cover ground like you can't believe. About the time I got set up hiim had left, but a little knowledge of your prey is needed here, I figured he was leaving just for show. Sure enough he was back in a few minutes.
The "Speed Goats" Or antelope as you my know them were feeding along a side hill. I went a 1/4 mile ahead and photographed them as they past. I spend hours watching these animals just to see what makes them tick. If you don't love long hours alone watching Buffalo feed and sleep this won't be your gig. I harken back to a time I spent 24 hours sitting by a beaver pond because I knew a Moose trail went through it. Finally one evening while returing from a camping trip with the boys I took them to the location and walked out to the edge of the pond. I said " Boys, this is where dad has spent all his time lately " at once the woods exploded accross the pond and out came a cow with twin calves. You just never know.
Moving to the Condo in West Yellowstone tomorrow. Time will tell what that side of the park has to offer.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

No function to click on pics to enlarge them is there?
Would like to see the grizzly...
sorry bout the keys...
Did you really miss chico?

Lis

salmobyfly said...

NICE! You found Griz! Nice shots of the ram and the antelope too. Sounds like you are having a time. If you change your profiles in Blogger to accept anonymous comments, more people can leave you a message.

-E

Years Out...jl said...

DW,

The extra key in the wallet trick has been practiced for several decades...A real outing saver, let alone cost and time!! Has it been used? Do loons dive?

Have just a super trip!
jl

t-mos said...

nicely done on the griz! thats awesome that it was on a kill too. the background in the pic of the two antelope looks like a mirage, did it look like that to the eye? the ram shot is awesome too, i especially like the vittles hanging out of his mouth. looks like a damn fine trip so far! sorry to hear about the keys, glad you got back in! i look forward to seeing whats next through the lens.

-T