Friday, May 9, 2008

The Day Started out So Badly ( and then !)

Greetings from the Rocky Mountains . Well the Condo is history and I am back in motels. I like this motel because its 25 miles to bear country instead of 75. I left West Yellowstone this morning at 5 am. Driving in driving snow. Well being an old ( OLD ) Minnesotan, this was no big deal except out here the ditches are a lot deeper. ;-)
Once I got to Mount Haynes the road was dry and I saw a break in the sky. Thank you thank you I said but much to quickly. ( i refer to landmarks for my boys benefit more than anything) You could check out the park on Google but who has the time ,,
back to the trip , I am heading for Mammoth Spring on the very North end of the park. I saw a Grizzly up close and personal at spring terace 1/2 mile from Madison Junction. He was wandering acrossed the upper meadow. I jacked up the iso to 1600 and using my 10 weight ( Eric knows) I took two shots not to publish but for the record. The road after Norris Junction was terrible, sloppy snow 3 inches deep on the roadway. Take it easy Jimmy !!
All I could think of was the vertical drop into Gardner . Well once I got to Sheepeaters Cliffs the road went bare, just as if it was heated.
Got my motel room back (103) I can back right up to it !! then gas and headed out to the Valley.
I don't know how to explain it but two times today I got out my tripod and walked to were I could see the Grizzly. Both times he was in the open, in fact we were Told to get back into our cars once. at that time most folks left, I stayed and in 5 minutes the Ranger signaled the bear was out and in a same spot. OH BTW, The Rangers had the guns out on my first stop, these two younger guys were really gung ho and maybe taking it a bit far. Later an older ( maybe 45) Ranger showed up and was great. these are my best photos to date. The distance was 86 yards, the ranger had a Range Finder and verified the distance. The photo of the bear laying out is really him on top of the carcass !! They are very protective. Later after 2 naps and a coffee, the rams showed up and I got some more shooting with them as well.
It snowed and rained all day. the photo of the antelope was taken in the snow as you can see the blurred white traces
well folks I am having a wonderful time and this blog is half the attraction ! Had a Buffalo burger for Supper, walked out of the restaurant and there across the street was a herd of the critters, None of them seemed to be staring at me so I guess it was all right.
See you all tomorrow

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

NICE! You are in business now. Great shots. Man I wish I was there...

-E

dun wurkin said...

Yah and the 10 weight gets a lot fo credit trust me.

Anonymous said...

The 10 weight sounds like a piece of heat with a hollow stinger kept in the pipe.

dun wurkin said...

Photo Gear to Fly Rods

Anonymous said...

Enjoying your blog... I check in daily. Please do not get eaten by a bear! Keep the stories coming.

Monica

Anonymous said...

well done! all the new pics look awesome.

t-mos